Neighbors surprised after fire leads to grow house discovery
CREATED Feb. 6, 2013
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Residents in a Southwest valley neighborhood came home Tuesday night to a street lit up with fire trucks and black smoke filtering from one home.
"My neighbor told me it was a grow house," resident Rosalind LeBoeuf said. "I said, 'are you kidding?' It was kind of shocking."
Residents describe the neighborhood near Jones and Windmill as peaceful. They never expected police to find more than a hundred pounds of marijuana ready for sale and the materials to grow plants inside the home.
"I don't know how they can grow that stuff without someone knowing because it takes a lot of power," neighbor John Hansen said.
The power comes from loads of electric wiring that firefighters suspect may have started the smoldering fire.
"You can have lights to keep the heat on the plants and sometimes the overloading can cause fires in the walls," Chief Eric Newman, Clark County Fire Department, said.
Neighbors tell Action News the home is a rental property, but they question if anyone lives there. One resident said he only saw people come to the home late at night and blacked out windows made it difficult to see inside.
Metro said grow houses are a problem throughout the valley, this is the 9th grow house discovered already this year.
In addition to the 107 lbs. of marijuana ready for sale, police also discovered one marijuana plant, but the home had the materials for more plant production.