Local schools plan increased security one week after Sandy Hook tragedy
Clark County schools are out for the day, but as students go home the images of last week's tragedy at Sandy Hook weight heavily on their minds.Photo: Video by ktnv.com
CREATED Dec. 20, 2012
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Clark County schools are out for the day, but as students go home the images of last week's tragedy at Sandy Hook weight heavily on their minds.
"Everybody is affected by it," Foothill student, Raychel Bitterman, said. "It's not just that state, it's everywhere."
It's the fear that it could happen anywhere that's prompting some schools to increase security. Foothill is suggesting students not carry backpacks Friday, one week after the deadly school shooting.
"Anything they can do to reassure the kids that it is safe, is wonderful," parent Myreen Aschenbach said.
School police said Tuesday they're investigating more than a dozen rumored threats targeting local schools, but so far none are true.
"The fact that no one is allowed to bring backpacks to school and the fact that kids think it's funny to start rumors after what just happened is absolutely ridiculous," Bitterman said.
But Foothill isn't the only school telling parents it's taking extra precaution.
In a letter, Canarelli Middle School told parents "classroom doors will be locked" during the day and "staff will be stationed at front and rear doors."
It's all in an effort to make students feel safe, but parents like Tonia Rowland said she's keeping her son home.
"If something was to happen I can never get him back," Rowland said. "So I would rather keep him with me and know that I've got him then to regret it tomorrow."
The school district said if parents keep their kids home, those absences will not be excused.
Canarelli is also suggesting students keep backpacks home, but the district said the school will not be searching students as the letter said.