Plumbers accidentally start apartment fire on Pirates Cove
Courtesy: Las Vegas Fire & Rescue
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Las Vegas firefighters responded to the Pavilions Apartment Complex Friday morning, after several people reported smoke coming from the building.
It happened around 11:10 a.m. at 7100 Pirates Cove Road, near Westcliff Drive and Rainbow Boulevard.
When crews arrived, they found the fire originated in a water heater closet, which is located on the patio of a downstairs apartment.
The fire and smoke extended up the chimney chase and extended to the apartment above.
The fire was mostly inside the walls where the chimney shaft is located. As the fire burned up the shaft, it also spread laterally, which caused most of the damage to the apartment patio and bedroom of the apartment above.
Damage was estimated at $50,000.
Fire investigators ruled the fire accidental, the result of plumbers using a torch while working on a water heater on the first floor.
Two people were displaced because of the fire, who are receiving assistance from family.
No injuries were reported.