Las Vegas business owner vows to recover from fire
More on that fire that erupted early Wednesday morning at a small business near Decatur and Spring Mountain.Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- More on that fire that erupted early Wednesday morning at a small business near Decatur and Spring Mountain. A local shoe shop is damaged when flames suddenly break out.
Just after 4 am fire fighters responded to a 2-alarm call at Mike's Shoe Repair. The owner had gone in around 3 am to catch up on work when he says a spark from the heel of a shoe caught the machine he used on fire.
"It never gave me any problems like this. This happened so fast. I couldn't do nothing but fight to stop the smoke, and here we are," says Mike Pogosyan.
Now his whole shop is damaged from soot, smoke, and water. Rows of high end projects still left lining the shelves.
"I'm sure if my customer sees me over here, she's going to have her heart broken because she has six or seven pairs of Louis Vuittons. Hopefully it's not total loss, but it looks like it is," says Mike.
And just because the whole shop is destroyed doesn't mean that Mike is shutting down his business. One lucky customer picked up some shoes that were not destroyed in the fire.
"We're not going anywhere. We're going to be here. Still fix shoes. We're taking the business outside, outdoors," says Mike.
With a table and chair, Mike continues to accept customers; having struck a deal with another local shoe repair business to work there until his store is restored.
"Bottom line is we're not going to close. I need to make a living, and this is what I know how to do, and do the best that I can," says Mike.
The estimated damage is at $75,000. Mike says he is going to continue to conduct business outside his store until he gets everything cleaned up again. He says his motivation will be his newborn son.