County fire crew rescues couple from burning apartment

Joyce Lupiani

County fire crew rescues couple from burning apartment

CREATED Sep. 28, 2012

Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The Clark County Fire Department responded to a fire at about 2:30 a.m. Friday morning at the Conejo Villa Apartments near West Hacienda Avenue and South Decatur Boulevard in the southwest area of the Valley.

Upon arrival, the CCFD observed heavy smoke and flames showing near the front entrance of a second-floor apartment. Two of the occupants of the apartment, a husband and wife, were trapped in a back bedroom.

Engine 21 firefighters attacked the fire while the engine's captain and engineer used a ladder to rescue the couple. The man and woman had dropped their two children to a neighbor below the window prior to the fire department's arrival.

The fire was knocked down quickly and did not spread to other units. The cause of the fire was determined to be combustibles stored too close to the water heater on the patio.

Fire officials recommend that any items that can burn such as paper, clothes, wood and etc. be stored at least three feet from water heaters.

If they are stacked, they should have a clearance of 18 inches to two feet away from ceilings to help stop a fire from spreading quickly if one occurs.

Loading...