House destroyed, children hospitalized after fire
Five people are in the hospital after their house caught fire during a young boy's birthday party.Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- Five people were taken to the hospital after their house caught fire during a young boy's birthday party.
It happened on Reeder Circle, just after 11 a.m. Saturday.
Heavy flames forced Lisa Robles to jump out her window. When she ran to the front of the house, she saw her niece and nephew suffering from serious burns.
"I don't have a home, my nephews and stuff, all burnt down. It's most upsetting day of my life," said Robles.
She also lost her two dogs in the fire.
Investigators say the family was using a deep fryer on the patio.
That fryer was accidentally knocked over and the spilled oil ignited, with flames quickly spreading throughout the house.
Officials warn that cooking accidents are one of the most common causes of house fires.
"Not only in the way that they're cooking, but in the activities that are going on and around cooking. It can be very, very dangerous and turn a celebration into a tragedy," said Bertrel Washington.
At last check the two children who were hospitalized are in critical condition, with possible third degree burns.
One adult is in serious condition, and the other adult had less serious burns.
Damage is estimated at $40,000.
If you'd like to make a donation to help local families, who have lost their homes to fire, call (702) 369-3674 or CLICK HERE to make secure online contributions. All of the money donated stays in Southern Nevada and is used only to aid fire victims.