Henderson home destroyed by fire finally torn down
A home in one Henderson community is an eyesore no more. The house is now gone. It's a follow up to a story we first brought you in November. So why did it take so long for this eyesore next door to be cleaned up?Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Henderson, NV (KTNV) -- A home in one Henderson community is an eyesore no more. The house is now gone. So why did it take so long for this "Eyesore Next Door" to be cleaned up?
"I'd much rather look at this than the burned out shell of a house," said David Taylor.
David couldn't believe it when construction crews showed up to a house last week. He lives across the street from the burned-out mess near Boulder Highway and Racetrack.
"I think it's ridiculous that we had to look at it for a year and 8 months," said David.
David first contacted Action News in November wondering why no one was bulldozing the house to the ground.
"Every day I walk out of my garage of my front door and I look at that," David told Action News when we talked to him in November.
Henderson Police say the man who lived in the house, Chad Kreiser, barricaded himself inside and started a fire in October 2010.
Firefighters may have doused the flames, but David says the smell of ashes remains.
"Not only looking at it but smelling it, it stinks," said David.
UTE Construction put up a fence immediately after, but since police arrested Kreiser that's all UTE could do.
They along with the City of Henderson and the homeowners association had to wait for the case to go through the courts.
On June 7, Kreiser pled guilty under Alford to intimidating a public officer and malicious destruction of private property.
That means Chad isn't saying he committed the crime. He's saying that the evidence could have resulted in a conviction. His attorney says he hopes that the Alford plea will help avoid a more serious punishment.
"It's down nobody can see it over the fence so we won't get looky loos," said David.
UTE tells Action News last Thursday they got the OK from the insurance company and Kreiser to start demolition. That was welcome noise to David.
"The demolition guy told me when he leaves it will be clean slab," said David.
Kreiser's attorney says he isn't sure what the next step is after the junk is hauled away.
Sentencing is scheduled for Oct. 9. We will let you know of the outcome.
We learned about this eyesore because David was proactive and emailed us. So do your part in helping to make Las Vegas a better place to live. If you have an eyesore in your neighborhood, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include your phone number.