Las Vegas Constable reacts to reprimands over YouTube video
The Clark County Constable responded to a controversial YouTube video on Thursday.Photo: Video by ktnv.com
Las Vegas, NV (KTNV) -- The Las Vegas Constable responds to the controversy over a reality TV style video clip that turned up online. Questionable material on the video had Clark County commissioners shocked and brought harsh reprimands to the Las Vegas Constable deputies standing before them earlier this week.
The constable says he apologizes to anyone that may have been offended by the video, but says his office did not break any laws. One thing's for sure he says. Reality TV is not meant for public office.
"Are they coming back for their (bleep) or what?
That's nasty man," exclaims one deputy on a video that appeared on youtube recently.
It was this video that sparked a heated discussion at a Clark County meeting Tuesday's between commissioners and deputies from the Las Vegas Constables Office.
"That was more of an intentional piece, and that's the sad part because it tainted everyone out there," says Commissioner Chris Giunchigliani.
"I wait all day long for someone to (bleep) with me.
Do not yell at my employee, do not yell at my employee, do not yell at my employee," says another deputy in another part of the video.
"Unprofessional of the office of the constable's that do a fine job. It portrays the county in a bad light when that type of language is put out there," reacts Commissioner Steve Sisolak.
Thursday Constable John Bonaventura spoke out about the video he says was sent as a gag reel and not meant for the public's eyes.
"It was right before Christmas, and they said Happy Holiday's. This is a private video for your purposes only, but when I saw the video, I thought well, this reality thing is not going to work out," says Bonaventura.
He says the video was put together by a TrueTV producer who rode along with deputies last summer, and now that the video has gone viral he wants to use it as a training video on what not to do. He believes the commissioners may have over reacted.
"Do you think they went a little overboard on something that really was not meant to be that big of a deal," asks Action News.
"Well, you know elections are coming up and I know Sisolak is up for reelection and they're all looking for soundbites, and this is a perfect thing to jump on. There's really no negative thing that can come out of it. Nobody did anything wrong. Nobody broke any laws," says the Constable.
Constable Bonaventura says there will be some disciplinary action taken.
We did reach out to Commissioner Sisolak for a comment. He told Action News he doesn't think it was a gag reel.
"The behavior shown in the video was an embarrassment to Clark County, and that the video speaks for itself. The constable is trying to minimize the embarrassing portrayal of his office," says Sisolak.