Popular board game Monopoly is adding a new rule, and game maker Hasbro is counting on you to pick it.
Hasbro has taken to Facebook to introduce 10 proposed rules for its 2015 game guide, and wants fans of the game to vote on which one they want to see included.
What’s surprising is that the game “has undergone only a few substantial changes in its almost 80 years,” according to the Washington Post
, which adds, “You’ll recall the furor that resulted from the demise of the iron token last year.”
The campaign to add a new rule “springs from Hasbro’s observation that nearly 70 percent of game-players have never actually read the rules,” the Post reports.
Here are the 10 options under consideration, according to a Hasbro press release:
• Free Parking, Fast Cash: All taxes and fees will be collected in the middle of the game board, if you land on Free Parking, it’s your lucky day: collect all the money from the middle of the board.
• Dash for the Cash: Landed on Go! Amazing, you get to double your salary – 400M dollars instead of 200M Dollars.
• Frozen Assets Rule: When in jail, a player cannot collect any rent money from other players. Sorry about your luck.
• Lucky Roller: Did you just Roll Snake Eyes (double one’s) … odds are in your favor, collect 500M Dollars.
• 3’s a Crowd: Are there three players in a row on three unique properties? Well done, each player gets an extra 500M Dollars.
• Cash Advance: Don’t have enough to buy Boardwalk? With this House Rule, players can make loans between each other to co-own properties. Who collects rent money? That’s determined among the new property owners!
• Break The Bank: At the start of the game, leave half the money in the bank. Then mix up the other half of the money in the center of a board. On the count of three every player grabs what they can! Free For All!
• Mum’s the Word: Mum always gets out of jail free. Always. No questions asked. She’s just that special.
• See the Sights: Players must travel around the board one complete time before they can begin buying properties. Hurry up and get to GO before everyone else!
• Property Boom: Anxious to begin building? We hear you — with this rule, players do not have to own a complete set of properties before they start to build houses.
Funny, we thought many of these already were official rules. Guess like millions of others, we’ve been playing it wrong all along.