Health Setback for 18 year-old Injured in Mobile Home Fire

Kelly Bartnick

Photo: Video by kmtv.com

Health Setback for 18 year-old Injured in Mobile Home Fire

CREATED Dec. 29, 2013

OMAHA, NE – After a big stride forward over the weekend, the mother of an 18 year-old who lost her own small children in a mobile home fire took a step backward Sunday.

Champaine Harn was badly injured while trying to save her two small sons from the family’s burning mobile home near 129th Street and West Maple Road December 18. The boys, 3 year-old Gabriel Rodriguez and 3-month old Brandon Rodriguez died. A girl, Adrianna Rodriguez, 1, survived the blaze.

Harn’s mother, Tammy Salas, said she was moved out of ICU at Creighton University Medical Center Saturday, but by Sunday, doctors had discovered a problem with Harn’s heart.

“Her heart will skip beats,” Salas said. “We're just taking it one day at a time and keep moving forward and pray.”

Harn had been in a medically-induced coma following the fire to keep her calm and help her lungs heal from severe smoke inhalation. Salas said the breathing tubes were gone Sunday, and Harn was also having problems speaking.

“She cries a lot. So she's in a lot of pain right now.” She said. “She says that she loves me and she loves her kids and she wants her kids and wants the pain to go away.”

A memorial to the two boys remained in front of the burned out mobile home in northwest Omaha Sunday night. Salas said generosity from people across the metro now means her daughter’s family will have a completely furnished apartment when her condition improves enough to go home.

Funeral preparations for Brandon and Gabriel Rodriguez were pending Sunday. 

Loading...