Low-calorie soup: your kids won't know what they're eating
Photo: Video by IdahoOnYourSide.com
Low Calorie Baked Potato Soup $9.23 ($1.53 a person for a family of 6)
8 Potatoes $.24
1 Carton of Chicken Broth $1.50
2 Heads of Cauliflower $4.00 (around $2 a head)
1 Green Onion bunch $.50
1 container of Sour Cream $1.00
1 Bacon, 12oz $1.99
8 russet potatoes
2 large heads of cauliflower
4 cups fat free chicken broth
4 cups 1% or 2% reduced-fat milk
salt and freshly cracked black pepper
16oz container of light sour cream
Cheddar cheese, shredded
Green Onions, chopped
1 package of bacon 12oz, cooked and crumbled (you can use turkey bacon if you prefer)
· Peel & dice 5 of the 8 potatoes and chop up the cauliflower.
· In a crockpot, place the diced potatoes, cauliflower, chicken broth, milk, salt & pepper
· Cook on low heat for 6-8 hours .
· 30 minutes before you are ready to eat, pierce the remaining 3 potatoes with a fork; microwave on high for 5-10 minutes (or use the baked potato setting). Or if you prefer to use your oven, bake at 400° for 1 hour or until tender.
· Cool and dice; you can leave the skins on if you would like or peel them for even lower calories. Set aside
· Use an immersion blender to puree the contents of the crockpot until smooth.
· Add sour cream, half the green onions, additional salt & pepper if needed and the remaining 3 cooked potatoes
· Allow to cook for another 15 minutes. Cook the bacon and chop.
· Ladle soup into a bowl. Top each serving with shredded cheese, more green onions & bacon.
You can find more of Jessica's recipes on her blog.