Weather Alerts 7 View »

Observant neighbor calls in house fire, no one hurt

Observant neighbor calls in house fire, no one hurt

By On Your Side newsroom. CREATED Jan 21, 2014

An observant neighbor was able to report flames coming from a home on East Rimrock Court Tuesday morning and firefighters were able to stop the fire before it caused significant damage to the home.

No one was injured in the fire, but two vehicles received both heat and smoke damage from the fire.

Investigators discovered that the homeowners had just cleaned ashes from a fireplace resulting in a plastic bin in the garage catching on fire.

Flames spread through the sheetrock to the exterior of the garage when the neighbor called in the fire.

Boise Firefighters say proper disposal of ashes is important in preventing house fires.

Firefighters have the following advice for proper disposal of ashes from a fireplace or wood stove:

• Never discard hot ashes inside or near the home.
• Place ashes in a metal container with a tight fitting lid outside and away from the house.
• Ashes should never be disposed of in plastic containers, cardboard boxes or paper grocery bags.
• After the ashes have been outside in a metal container for one week, they will then be safe to dispose of in your trash.