Embers ignite, cause house fire in SW Boise
Boise Fire investigators say an ember left over from burning weeds appears to have ignited a fire that caused significant damage to a Southwest Boise home on Wednesday afternoon.
Boise Firefighters were called by the resident of a home on the 6700 block of Southdale Avenue around 4:00 p.m. When firefighters arrived, they found flames coming from the side and attic of the home.
Firefighters were able to salvage much of the contents of the home, but fire destroyed half the roof.
Boise Fire Investigators talked with the resident who said he was using a propane weed burner to burn weeds on the property and believed the flames had been completely extinguished when he left the home. He returned a short time later to find the fire.
Investigators say it appears an ember ignited dry grass which spread fire to a wood pile and then to the house. The fire spread into the attic before firefighters could control it.
The Boise Fire Union Burnout Fund is assisting the homeowner. To learn more about the Burnout fund and make a donation, go to http://fire.cityofboise.org/burn-out-fund/.