A 2-year-old Boise pit bull is dead and another hospitalized after what appears to be some type of poisoning.
“It looks like poison. It looks like something that was intentionally given to my dogs,” Ashley White said.
Two of White’s pit bulls started getting sick Saturday night, vomiting, panting and becoming very lethargic. When Ashley came home Monday between work and school she found Stella dead.
“I've never been so devastated in my life,” she said. “This was my child. This was my first child.”
Ashley got an autopsy done on Stella hoping for some answers and the veterinarian found large amounts of loose blood in her abdominal cavity.
The vet tells On Your Side, the dogs exhibited symptoms consistent with second-generation anticoagulant rodenticide, or a very strong rat poison.
Stella’s sister, Mac, underwent exploratory surgery and has spent several days in the hospital with similar symptoms to Stella. Mac will return home Thursday night, hoping for a full recovery.
Ashley thoroughly searched her home and yard for anything the dogs could have possibly gotten into and couldn’t find anything.
“We combed the yard to make sure there was nothing of remnants, that's been the hardest part is that we haven't found anything,” she said.
She fears someone may have thrown something into her yard, possibly targeting her pit bulls.
“That was my first inclination, that I was sought out because of their breed,” White said.
White works closely with the Boise Bully Breed Rescue. The organization is offering a reward to any individual who has information that leads to the arrest and conviction of the person responsible.
They are also collecting donations to help pay for Stella and Mac’s toxicology tests, medication and surgery expenses. Click Here to help.