Loading...

Weather Alerts 5 View »

‘Batkid’ snubbed by Oscars

Play

Leukemia survivor Miles, 5, dressed as Batkid, runs the bases as part of a Make-A-Wish foundation fulfillment at AT&T Park November 15, 2013 in San Francisco. The Make-A-Wish Greater Bay Area foundation turned the city into Gotham City for Miles by creating a day-long event bringing his wish to be BatKid to life. (Photo by Ramin Talaie/Getty Images) Photo: Video by Getty Videos

‘Batkid’ snubbed by Oscars

By Phyllis Stark. CREATED Mar 6, 2014

Five-year-old leukemia survivor Miles Scott, who captured the nation’s heart last year by assuming the persona of “Batkid,” was snubbed by the Oscars last weekend when his planned appearance with actor Andrew Garfield (“The Amazing Spider-Man”) was cancelled the morning of the show. Now, his mom is expressing her disappointment, and Garfield is making it clear he wasn’t to blame.

Scott “became a mighty sensation last year when he donned Batman's black-muscled armor and ‘saved’ San Francisco as part of a Make-A-Wish Foundation dream fulfillment,” reports USA Today.
 
For Oscar night, his family made the trip to Los Angeles from northern California, and the boy had a new tux ready to wear for his appearance, but the segment was pulled from the show Sunday morning.
 
On Wednesday, Miles' mother, Natalie Scott, expressed “disappointment” with the cancellation to the International Business Times. As of Wednesday night, the family hadn't heard from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, and Natalie Scott said, “I know that's how TV goes and how Hollywood is. We're just not used to that; we're from a really small town."
 
Now, the Academy has issued a statement “as to why Miles' second dream was dashed and what his consolation prize was,” USA Today reports. It reads: "Due to the nature of a live show, hard decisions sometimes must be made which require the Academy to cut segments due to the logistics of production. Andrew Garfield understood that his segment had to be omitted, and he drove to Disneyland on Monday to spend time with . . . Scott and his family."
 
Meanwhile, USA Today reports, “In response to reports circulating that Garfield was partly to blame for the backtrack, the actor's reps have given Vanity Fair a statement” expressing his own disappointment.
 
"In full collaboration with the Academy and the show writer, Andrew prepared a segment for the Oscars to honor Miles Scott as the true hero that he is,” the statement said. “As some point overnight on Saturday/Sunday morning, it was decided by those running the show that the segment didn't work in the ceremony. They decided to pull it. Andrew and Miles were equally upset. The producers arranged for Miles and his family to visit Disneyland on Monday and Andrew drove down to visit them and to bring Miles a personal gift. Andrew did the right thing for Batkid and anyone saying otherwise is flat out lying."
Phyllis Stark

Phyllis Stark

Email Facebook Twitter
Phyllis Stark is the Digital Executive Producer - National Content for Journal Broadcast Group.