Tucson desegregation plan gets flak from overseer
By Kimberly Kolliner. CREATED Nov 15, 2013
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) - The latest desegregation plan adopted by the Tucson Unified School district has been rejected as inadequate by an expert appointed to oversee the plan by a federal judge.
The overseer said a plan on magnet schools approved by the district's board in September limits options for meaningfully achieving racial balance in the district's schools. Special master Willis Hawley said it will in fact have little or no impact.
The board rejected a magnet plan created by the Hawley before adopting its own. Hawley's plan would have eliminated popular programs at several schools.
Efforts to create a racially balanced school system in Tucson date back to 1974. A federal court in Tucson last year asked for a blueprint to desegregate the district.
Information from: Arizona Daily Star, http://www.azstarnet.com
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)