Douglas middle schoolers get sick from prescription drug Clonidine

Taylor Higgins

Douglas middle schoolers get sick from prescription drug Clonidine

CREATED Oct. 4, 2013 - UPDATED: Oct. 4, 2013

DOUGLAS, Ariz. (KGUN9-TV) - Medical personnel transported more than a dozen students from Ray Borane Middle School in Douglas to the hospital after they ingested a prescription drug. 

Dr. Keith Boesen with the Arizona Poison Control Center tells KGUN9 that officials believe the students ingested Clonidine, a prescribed drug used to treat high blood pressure and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, or ADHD.

An official with the Southeast Arizona Medical Center says 15 students were taken to the hospital with symptoms that range from vomiting to drowsiness.

Hospital personnel also said that some of the students appeared to be confused.

A hospital official also said that at least one of the students brought the prescription drugs to school and passed them out to other students.

Douglas Fire Chief Mario Novoa says the first student became sick at 9:30 a.m.

All of the students are middle schools students. Hospital officials say all but one of the students have been released from the hospital.

The final student, a 13-year-old boy, was transported to another hospital in serious condition.

KGUN 9 On Your Side is working on getting more information. Stay with us for updates.

 
 

Loading...