CREATED Sep. 17, 2013
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - The death toll in Colorado is up to eight as of Monday morning, but the number of unaccounted for people is dropping as authorities continue to make contact with those cut off by the floodwaters.
While the aerial search and rescue efforts continue, evacuees have started to return home and they are seeing the damage done by the floodwaters for the first time.
Help from across the country is in or on its way to the Colorado flood zones.
The Southwest Division of the Salvation Army sent 19 people to its headquarters in Denver. Five of the volunteers are from Tucson. They're using emergency mobile kitchens to feed and provide water for first responders and evacuees.
To help the Salvation Army's relief efforts, visit www.imsalvationarmy.org or call 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).
World Care Civilian Emergency Relief Center is collecting supplies for the victims of the ongoing flooding in Colorado.
You can also donate money and your time. World Care needs volunteers to help sort and pack all the donations for shipment.
Donations can be dropped off at World Care's headquarters, located at 3538 E. Ellington Place near Alvernon and 22nd, or at any A-Family Discount Storage
World Care Suggested Donations:
- Gloves, Mops, Brooms, Buckets, Sponges, Garbage Bags, Blankets, Sleeping Bags, Pillows/Pillow Cases
Food (In date and not expiring for 3 months):
- Ready-to-eat canned meats, Canned Goods, Canned Juices, Canned Milk, Baby Food/Formula, Instant ready to eat foods, Instant Protein Drinks, Gatorade, Powdered milk, dry cereals, Peanut butter/Jelly, Crackers, Granola Bars
- Towels, Toothpaste, Toothbrushes, Dental Floss, Shampoo, Conditioner, Nail Clippers, Soap, Liquid Detergent, Razors/Shaving Cream,
Toilet Paper, Feminine hygiene products, Diapers (adult and baby), Bar Soap, Hand Sanitizers, deodorant
Medical (First Aid and OTC Only):
- OTC Pain Relievers, Band-Aids, Liquid Band Aid, Anti-Diarrhea Medication, Antacids, Gauze, Sterile/Non-Sterile Hypo-Allergenic Adhesive
- Shovels, Hammers, Screwdrivers, Flashlights and Lanterns, Batteries, Cell Phone Chargers, Work Gloves
- Dog and Cat Pet Food (dry, in bags, unopened), Canned Food, Collars and Leashes, Carriers, Cat Litter, Pet Bedding