PACC puts family's dog down by mistake

Rikki Mitchell

Photo: Video by kgun9.com

PACC puts family's dog down by mistake

CREATED Jan. 19, 2014

TUCSON (KGUN-TV) - Tammy Porter says her excitement turned to shock when she went to Pima Animal Care Center only to find out that her dog was dead.

"Two people came, a young woman and a guy came and took me in a back room and they started bawling and started to tell me that they accidentally euthanized her," said Tammy. "It devastated us." Hollie was part of our family for six years."

The news really hurt Tammy's 12-year-old daughter Rachel Porter.

"I was really close to her," said Rachel.
 
An animal control officer picked up Hollie, a Golden Retriever mix, on Christmas day to finish a 10-day quarantine.

According to the officer's report from PACC, a 9-year-old boy reported that Hollie "chased him" and "knocked him off his bike." The report says Hollie then "bit him on the left calf behind the knee."

The shelter needed to make sure Hollie was up to date on her rabies shot. Tammy says she signed a form stating that she would redeem Hollie after the quarantine period.  
 
"An officer failed to record, properly record information to indicate that Miss Porter who had clearly made her intention known to redeem the pet," said Kim Janes, the manager at PACC. "They wanted to redeem the pet, unfortunately that information was not provided to our shelter staff."
 
Janes says the only information the staff received was that this dog had a tendency to get loose, and in this incident, bit a young boy.
 
"We had a dog that appeared to be going down an aggressive path but just couldnt go back out into the community," said Janes. "With the exception of if the owner was willing to do the kinds of things that need to be done in those kinds of cases."
 
Which the Porters were willing to do. Janes said had the officer properly indicated that the Porters planned to pick up Hollie, the shelter staff would have sat down with the family and told them what they should do to prevent this from happening again.
 
Janes says the shelter has taken steps to prevent this from happening.

"We always review our procedures when these kinds of things happen," he said. "And we just doubled up on some of the double checks we can do to make sure it doesn't happen again."

Loading...