Loading...

Weather Alerts 3 View »

Family of five displaced following house fire

Photo: Image by Tucson Fire Department

Family of five displaced following house fire

By Ina Ronquillo. CREATED Feb 15, 2014 - UPDATED: Feb 16, 2014

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A family of five has been displaced after a fire started in the laundry room of the house.

Capt. Barrett Baker tells KGUN9 the fire started in the 5200 block of South Fletcher Avenue.

The water heater in the home was hooked up to a propane tank and the fire started after a malfunction in the hose connections to the water heater, said Baker.

Firefighters faced several safety issues as the fire was directly impinging on the electrical box on the house, making it impossible to shut down the power to the house.

Tucson Electric Power responded quickly to the scene to safely deal with the power lines, said Baker.

The fire was contained primarily to the utility room with some damage to the bedroom that was approximately two feet away.

There were no injuries to firefighters and Red Cross was responding to the scene to assist the family, which consisted of two parents and their three children.

Tucson Fire would like to remind that if propane is used in conjunction with the water heater, a special permit must be obtained through City of Tucson Developmental Services to ensure the proper fittings/connections/hoses are used.

Ina Ronquillo

Ina Ronquillo

Email Twitter
Ina is a Southern Arizona native. She graduated from Nogales High School and then received her Bachelor of Arts from the University of Arizona with a double major in Media Arts and Communication.