Hazmat situation unfolds inside Northside Family Dollar store
Rikki Mitchell, Cory Marshall
Photo: Video by kgun9.com
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Firefighters responded to a Family Dollar store Sunday after chemicals were intentionally spilled and mixed together.
Capt. Barrett Baker with Tucson Fire tells KGUN9 that the hazmat team was dispatched to 707 E. Ft. Lowell Rd. at about 2:30 p.m. to monitor the air and make sure the spill was cleaned up.
"Anytime you're dealing with a hazardous materials situation, it all depends on what exactly you're dealing with. But, we don't know that until we get there. So, we're kind of flying blind for lack of a better term," Baker added.
The store was evacuated and crews determined that there was nothing dangerous in the air.
One person did complain of having a hard time breathing, but they were assessed on scene and did not have to go to the hospital.
Tucson Police also responded to the store, and determined that someone had entered, poured ammonia and bleach on the floor and then left.
An employee cleaned it up but then called 911 to report it.
Detectives determined that the amount spilled was so little that it wasn't dangerous.
Officers are following up on suspect information. The investigation is ongoing.