Loading...

Weather Alerts 1 View »

Cooking fire displaces family of five

A family of five is without a home this morning after a fire erupted in their home late Tuesday night.

Cooking fire displaces family of five

By Taylor Higgins. CREATED May 14, 2014

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A family of five is without a home this morning after a fire erupted in their home late Tuesday night.

Capt. Barrett Baker with the Tucson Fire Department says the fire started in a home in the 7400 block of East 22nd Street just before 9:30 p.m.

A resident of the home was making dinner for her kids using cooking oil. After making dinner, one child wanted more food. The mother went back to the kitchen and turned the stove back on. The child then changed his mind and no longer wanted the food but the mother forgot to turn the stove back off, Baker said.

Minutes later, the oil ignited and started a fire on the stove top, extending into the cabinets above. The mother and three of her kids evacuated the apartment and knocked on the neighbors door as they exited the building.

The neighbor grabbed a fire extinguisher in the hallway and entered the apartment. He extinguished the flames and also shut down electricity to the apartment at the breaker panel, according to Baker.

When firefighters arrived on scene, they found residual smoke, but all of the flames were out.

No one was injured in the fire and the family is going to stay with local relatives.

Baker wishes to remind the community that cooking causes nearly half of all reported residential fires, and unattended cooking is by far the leading contributor to those fires. Remember to always stay close and have an extinguisher or lid ready in case the oil ignites.