ADOT to launch new driver license process, design
PHOENIX (KGUN9-TV) - Get ready Arizona, a newly designed Arizona driver license is coming along with a new process to get it.
According to a media release from the Arizona Department of Transportation, beginning June 16, the Motor Vehicle Division is expanding central credential issuance to all offices statewide.
That means customers visiting a MVD office to obtain a new driver license or identification card will leave with a temporary credential. The permanent license or identification card will be mailed to the customer within 15 days.
ADOT is also launching a new, high-security credential format. Both changes are designed to protect against identity theft.
Even with the new license design, a current driver license or identification card will remain valid until its expiration date or the 12-year mark when the photo needs to be refreshed.
The price of a duplicate credential remains unchanged at $12 for many customers.
Security features of this new credential include:
- A larger primary portrait with a smaller redundant ghost portrait ensuring customer appearance is clearly reflected.
- A high-security design comprised of unique Arizona geological features in the background created by using many different patterns, lines and images. This provides the overall look of the credential.
- A laser perforation in the shape of Arizona, which when held up to the light is used to quickly authenticate the credential.
- Tactile date of birth field to assist in authenticating the credential using the sense of touch. The date in this field will have a raised feel to it.
- Tri-color Optically Variable Device consisting of the state outline, the state name “Arizona,” the state seal, a saguaro cactus and a star. This laminate overlay provides the final layer of the credential and provides one more feature for authentication.
- The ringtail, the state mammal, is illustrated on the front of the new credential.