Weather Alerts 6 View »

House fire sends one to hospital

Rikki Mitchell

House fire sends one to hospital

CREATED Jul. 5, 2013

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A house fire caused by an electrical malfunction sent one person to the hospital Friday.

Capt. Chris Jurvig with Tucson Fire tells KGUN9 that crews went to the house in the 4600 block of east Timrod Street at about 10 a.m. Friday.

When they arrived, they saw smoke and flames coming from the front door.

A resident at the home tried to remove and extinguish a couch that had caught fire in the living room.

Paramedics took the resident to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

It took 23 firefighters seven minutes to bring the fire under control.

They were able to keep the fire from spreading from the living room to the rest of the house.

The cause was determined to be an unspecified electrical malfunction, and damage is estimated at $15,000.