Transformer fire causes power outage on northwest side

Liz Kotalik

Photo: Video by kgun9.com

Transformer fire causes power outage on northwest side

CREATED Jun. 29, 2013
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Northwest Fire and Tucson Electric Power responded to a transformer fire on Tucson's northwest side. 
 
Capt. Adam Goldberg with the Northwest Fire District says 11 people and their pets in six to eight homes are without power after a transformer caught fire near Orange Grove Road and Shannon Road.
 
"It was smoking and some fluid was dripping out of it, and there was a little big of sparks arching, and a bad smell, so we were worried about it," said Bo Spencer, a man who lived in a home right behind the transformer.
 
The thermostat inside of his home read 86 degrees, but with humidity, Bo says inside, it's so much hotter.
 
"We have no power, no electricity, no fan, no way to stay cool."
 
Eleven neighbors, not including pets, are feeling the heat thanks to the transformer, and Tucson Electric Power says it could take four to six hours to get things back up and running.
 
"Provided that everything goes well and according to TEP's plan, it is still a long time for residents to be in a home without air condition or without swamp cooling when it's 110 degrees outside," Capt. Adam Goldberg with the Northwest Fire Department told Nine On Your Side"
 
The Red Cross of Southern Arizona is setting up an emergency shelter for those living in homes without power and their pets, according to Goldberg.
 
KGUN 9 On Your Side will continue to keep this story updated with the latest information. Stay with us. 

Loading...