Overnight fire leaves one person dead
Northwest Fire says a 50-year-old man is dead after a mobile home fire.Photo: Video by kgun9.com
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Northwest Fire says a 50-year-old man is dead after a mobile home fire.
Capt. Adam Goldberg says the fire broke out after 1 a.m. in the 2000 block of west Gardner, near La Cholla and Wetmore.
Pima County Sheriff's Deputies evacuated neighbors while crews battled the fire, said Goldberg.
Goldberg also tells KGUN9 the man was partially paralyzed from a stroke he suffered last year. That may have prevented him from getting out of the burning mobile home.
The cause of the fire is being ruled accidental for improper disposal of a cigarette.
Northwest Fire would like to remind everyone to have at least one working smoke detector in their homes at all times. Change batteries and check the detectors to ensure that they are in working order at least twice a year.