5-year-old playing with candle starts fire
Web Producer: Ina Ronquillo
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - A fire damaged a bathroom after a 5-year-old boy was playing with a candle.
Capt. Barrett Baker tells KGUN9 that firefighters responded to the 700 block of West Calle Aragon.
The boy moved the candle from the bedroom to the bathroom where it is believed he placed it in a plastic trashcan, says Baker. The trashcan caught fire, with the flames spreading to the immediate area.
The fire scared the boy who then went outside and hid in the corner of the yard.
The mother smelled the smoke and discovered the fire in the back bathroom.
Numerous adults tried to extinguishing the flames with buckets of water. The neighbor across the street noticed the commotion and entered into the house with a fire extinguisher to try and put out the fire.
The neighbor told firefighters the smoke was making it tough to breath and see. He noticed someone in the bathroom area and tugged the person's pants several times and convinced the person to get out. The 63-year-old male was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but did not go to the hospital.
The damage total to the home is not yet determined, said Baker.
Tucson Fire would like to remind the public that an estimated 44,900 fires are started by someone, usually a child, playing with fire. Children don't know the dangers of playing with matches or lighters and a fire can overwhelm them quickly. Adults can help by storing matches and lighters out of children's reach and sight, up high, preferably in a locked cabinet or container.