Gas leak forces evacuations from Phoenix hotel
Photo: Image by
Web Producer: Sara Wright
PHOENIX (KGUN9 TV/AP) - Approximately 100 guest and staff were evacuated from a four-story hotel in northwest Phoenix Monday morning due to a natural gas leak.
Firefighters knocked on doors of guest rooms at the Holiday Inn at Cactus Boulevard near Interstate 17 shortly after 5 a.m. to tell guests to evacuate because of a natural gas leak.
Spokeswoman Amy Washburn of Southwest Gas says utility crews are at the scene to try to determine the location of the leak.
Washburn says underground readings of natural gas doesn't necessarily pinpoint the leak's location.
Dozens of firefighters are on the scene, with most of them staying some distance back from the hotel because of the danger of explosion.
Local roads are closed near the hotel, and the southbound I-17 ramp to Cactus Boulevard also is closed.