Loading...

Crews respond to kitchen fire in home

Crews respond to kitchen fire in home

CREATED Feb 14, 2013

Web Producer: Rikki Mitchell

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Northwest Fire responded to a home in the 4300 block of North Idaho Lane Thursday after reports of a kitchen fire.

Capt. Adam Goldberg with Northwest Fire tells KGUN9 that the first engine on scene saw smoke coming from the windows, but they were able to quickly control the fire and contain it to the kitchen.

The remainder of the house had moderate smoke damage.

Two people were home at the time but neither was injured.

Twelve firefighters, a rescue company and several support units responded to the home and brought the fire under control within six minutes.

The Southern Arizona chapter of the Red Cross also responded to aid the family with housing needs because it is uninhabitable until repairs can be made.

The fire was accidental and started when the two tried heating materials needed for a home project on the stove.

Northwest Fire would like to remind everyone to keep a fire extinguisher near the kitchen, which is where most residential fires start.

Call 911 immediately before trying to extinguish a fire in the home.