Loading...

Weather Alerts 6 View »

Man uses torch on frozen pipes, burns down mobile home

The fire started because the owner of the mobile home was using a propane torch to thaw his frozen pipes. Firefighters urge homeowners to use fire-safe methods when battling the cold temperatures.

Man uses torch on frozen pipes, burns down mobile home

CREATED Jan 15, 2013

Web Producer: Taylor Higgins

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - In an attempt to thaw his frozen pipes, a man took extreme and dangerous measures, leaving him without his mobile home tonight.  

Northwest firefighters responded to a mobile home fire in the 4100 block of north Romero Road just after 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, according to Adam Goldberg with the Northwest Fire Department. 

Goldberg tells KGUN9 that the fire started because the owner of the mobile home was using a propane torch to thaw his frozen pipes. 

The fire caused between $8,000 and $10,000 in damage, making the mobile home unlivable, Goldberg says. 

Goldberg reminds homeowners that it is important to use fire-safe methods to stay warm when battling the freezing and sub-freezing temperatures this winter.