Weather Alerts 1 View »

Firefighter: "Smoking with oxygen" causes mobile home flash fire

Someone inside the mobile home lit tobacco while using oxygen, causing a flash fire. Flash fires are destructive because they ignite any combustible objects nearby such as couches and other furniture.

Firefighter: "Smoking with oxygen" causes mobile home flash fire

CREATED Jan. 7, 2013

Web Producer: Taylor Higgins

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Northwest firefighters responded to a mobile fire near the Tucson Mall.  

Firefighters responded to the 4000 block of north Fairview Avenue just after 10:30 a.m. Monday after a man called 9-1-1 to report that his mobile home caught fire, according to Adam Goldberg with the Northwest Fire Department. 

Goldberg tells KGUN9 that the fire was caused by "smoking with oxygen" which resulted when the owner of the home used tabacco while also using oxygen.

Goldberg went on to say that flash fires are destructive because they ignite any combustible objects nearby such as a couch, wood tables and other furniture pieces.  

The mobile home was a complete loss, permanently displacing the owner of the home, a 62-year-old man and his wife, along with their adult son, Goldberg says. 

The 62-year-old man had to be transported to the hospital for smoke inhalation. He was transported in stable condition. 

Damage is estimated at $20,000 and Red Cross is responding to assist the family.  

KGUN 9 responding to the scene. We will have more on this story later today. Stay with us. 

Loading...