Crews responded to furnace fire Monday night
Damage to the attic after a fire started in a furnace Monday night. Photo courtesy of Tucson Fire.
Web Producer: Rikki Mitchell
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Firefighters responded to a home in the 1900 block of East Silver St. after a fire started in the furnace Monday night.
Capt. Barrett Baker with Tucson Fire told KGUN9 that there was heavy smoke coming from the home when crews arrived.
He said the damage was done by the time crews arrived, and the flames spread from the fireplace into the attic.
Crews got the fire under control in nine minutes but the couple, along with their two dogs were displaced.
They did not want assistance from the Red Cross.
Damages are estimated at $30,000 and the cause is determined as a malfunction in the furnace.
Tucson Fire wants to remind everyone that as the temperatures drop and people begin to use their fireplaces again, it highly recommends having a professional look at your fireplace ahead of time.
Baker also said to pay close attention during the first time you use the fireplace and if anything looks wrong, turn it off and call 911.