"You are all going to die": Student's threat prompts Sabino High to beef up security
Photo: Video by kgun9.com
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Authorities aren't taking the rumor about a Sabino High School student who plans to dress as a serial killer for Halloween lightly.
Deputy Tom Peine with the Pima County Sheriff's Department said the student, a 14-year-old freshman, went to juvenile court earlier this month on a charge of Threats and Intimidation.
Deputies received reports at the end of September of threats that the student made to other students at Sabino High School.
Peine says that when asked by another student if he would kill her and her friend, the 14-year-old said "That question remains unanswered."
Deputies also learned that other students overheard the boy say "You are all going to die."
He also stated that he would come to school on Halloween dressed as a serial killer.
"There is no option but to take it seriously," Peine said. "We all have seen what happens when no action is taken."
On Monday, the school sent a letter to parents of Sabino High School students telling them about the situation.
The letter stated that the school had heard rumors of threatened violence including references to a shooting taking place on Halloween.
"They need to take severe precautions," said Elena, a Sabino High School parent.
Last Friday, the student was observed by a teacher looking at a website that portrayed a young, nonthreatening boy who went on a shooting rampage at his school and killed all of the students.
"That was very disconcerting," said Peine.
Detectives followed up with the 14-year-old and his parents Monday night. He was taken into custody on a felony charge of Interfering With an Educational Institution. The boy has since been released.
"I'm not going to send my daughter to school thinking everything is safe, when it might not be," Elena said. "No one wants to get that call. I don't want to take the chance that I'll get that call."
9OYS asked TUSD officials if parents should send their kids to school at Sabino tomorrow.
"I'm not going to encourage a parent to do anything," spokeswoman Cara Rene said. "A parent needs to do what's best, but they should know school has increased security."
TUSD tells 9OYS the student has been suspended at least through the end of the week. He's not allowed on campus. But parents say they aren't concerned about tomorrow, but the day after and the day after that.
"I am going to live in fear everyday I send her to school knowing today might be his snapping point," Elena said.
PCSD said it is continuing to investigate the matter and is working closely with TUSD to take extra precautions. There will be additional security at the school for Halloween.