Denny's shuts down after electrical fire
CREATED Sep. 17, 2012
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - The Denny's 24-hour restaurant on west Valencia Road will be closed today after the building filled with light smoke.
An employee placed a 9-1-1 call at 12:43 a.m. and evacuated ten people from the building, five employees and five customers. A fire unit was on the scene within five minutes and called the fire a working fire due to continued smoke production, according to Jeff Langejans with the Tucson Fire Department.
Using a thermal imaging camera, the crew located the source of the fire. Langejans told KGUN9 that an electrical junction box and exterior lighting appliance on an outside wall had been smoldering for many hours.
It took 19 firefighters and 17 minutes to locate and control the fire, but no one was injured.
The restaurant will be closed until further notice from the Pima County Health Department.
Tucson Fire wants to remind you that 80 percent of fire deaths are caused my inhaling smoke, especially in a residential home when residents are asleep. Working smoke alarms save lives; check your alarm every month and change the battery at least once a year.