Early morning house fire displaces two
Web Producer: Ina Ronquillo
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Tucson Fire responded to an early morning house fire that has displaced two people.
Cpt. Barrett Baker tells KGUN9 that a resident in the 5600 block of East Holmes called 9-1-1 to report a room in the home was on fire.
When units arrived, they found heavy smoke and flames coming from approximately 40% of the home.
The resident alerted firefighters that everyone was out of the house.
Firefighters made entry into the home to begin extinguishing the heavy amount of fire. They cut two holes in the roof with chainsaws due to the heavy amount of smoke and flames. This helped improve the visibility for the interior crews and reduced the high temperatures inside.
The fire originated in the the front family room, but the two residents were awoken by working smoke alarms.
The cause of the fire is being rules as a unspecified electrical malfunction involving extension cord.
Damage to the home is estimated at $75,000.
Red Cross was called to the scene to provide assistance to the two residents that were displaced.
Tucson Fire would like to remind the public that more than half of residential fire deaths occur in fires that start between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. It is also imperative to have an escape plan to get out of your house in case of this type of emergency. There are almost always two ways to get out of a room and practicing both can save your life.