Loading...

Weather Alerts 1 View »

Early morning house fire displaces three

Early morning house fire displaces three

CREATED Aug 22, 2012

Web Producer: Ina Ronquillo

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - An early morning house fire has displaced a family of three.

Cpt. Barrett Baker tells KGUN9 that crews responded to the 6600 block of East Julia Street for reports of a house on fire.  Dispatchers updated crews that an evaporative cooler unit was on fire.

Units arrived and reported smoke and flames coming from the roof area of the house.

A father and his children, ages 15 and 16, were in the house at the time of the fire.

As firefighters were attempting to force their way into the front door, the father opened the door and exited the house. The kids had exited the house from a side door.

Neighbors had been banging on doors and windows trying to wake everyone up that lived in the house.

There were no injuries to firefighters and Red Cross was requested to assist the family with their needs.

The cause of the fire is an unspecified electrical malfunction of the evaporative cooler.

The damage to the home is estimated at $25,000.

Tucson Fire reminds the community that half of residential fire deaths occur in fires that start between 11:00 p.m. and 7:00 a.m. It is imperative that smoke alarms are in the house and furthermore that they are working. In this case, the smoke alarms were not functioning. Had the residents not been awakened by neighbors, the outcome could have been very different.