Sun Tran contract approved, bus service continues as usual
Photo: Video by kgun9.com
Web Producer: Rikki Mitchell
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Sun Tran officials and union leaders have announced a new two-year contract, approved Thursday night. It means there will be no disruption in bus service Friday and beyond.
The new contract was ratified with a vote of 212 to 69 by members of Teamsters Local 104, according to Sun Tran marketing director Michele Joseph.
A tentative agreement was reached late Tuesday, and union members had until Thursday night to vote. The deadline was midnight.
The agreement means Sun Tran bus service will continue uninterrupted and without a strike.
According to the service, the two-year, $773,000 package includes:
- Raising top drivers pay one percent from $18.53 to $18.72 over two years.
- Raising top mechanics pay one percent from $21.94 to $22.16 over two years.
- Continuing contributions of 100 percent of monthly health and welfare premiums.
- Raising Sun Tran's hourly contributions to the Teamster pension fund by $0.05.
- A wage re-opener clause, to allow the agreement to be opened by either party for further discussion of wages for the second year of the contract.