Loading...

Weather Alerts 3 View »

Flammable liquids cause house fire

Flammable liquids cause house fire

CREATED Jun 29, 2012

Web Producer: Rikki Mitchell

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Improper storage of flammable liquids caused a house fire Friday in the 1000 block of west Alameda, according to Jeff Langejans with the Tucson Fire Department.

Firefighters arrived at the house after the resident called 9-1-1 when she saw fire covering the floor near her gas-fed water heater.

Crews encountered heavy smoke, and an electrical line was damaged causing it to drop down while still energized.

Tucson Electric Power was called and had to work quickly because the power line caused an imminent life safety hazard.

All occupants had evacuated prior to firefighters arriving, and there were no injuries to the residents or the crew.

It took nine units and 22 firefighters to bring the fire under control in 11 minutes.

Damages are estimated at $70,000 and the cause was deemed accidental because of flammable liquid stored improperly.