Weather Alerts 1 View »

Tucson air base lockdown: Communication failure

D-M Building 4300. Courtesy KNXV.-TV. Photo: Image by KNXV

Tucson air base lockdown: Communication failure

CREATED Mar 13, 2012

Web Producer: Ina Ronquillo

PHOENIX (AP) - The military's review of a lockdown at an Air Force base on the southern edge of Tucson last year says an initial report about a suspicious gunman led to a series of communication breakdowns.
   
There were unconfirmed reports of gunfire at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base on Sept. 16 that prompted the lockdown. No weapons or gunman were ever found.
   
The Arizona Republic reports that a report released Monday says an unauthorized suspect carrying a gun on a military base is referred to as an "active shooter," even if no weapon has been fired.
   
So when a civilian mistakenly reported seeing a gunman, military responders began talking about an active shooter and civilian dispatchers spread word of a shooting.
   
___
   
Information from: The Arizona Republic, http://www.azcentral.com

(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)