Loading...

Weather Alerts 4 View »

Fire damages home on Tucson's southwest side, 2 displaced

Fire damages home on Tucson's southwest side, 2 displaced

CREATED Mar 3, 2012

Web Producer: Marissa Pasquet

TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) - Tucson Fire officials report an accidental fire damaged a home on the Tucson's southwest side.

The fire began around 5:45 p.m. Friday, at a home on the 1300 block of South Copias Way, near West Starr Pass and South Greasewood Road.

Tucson Fire Captain Trish Tracy sent out a news release saying neighbors called 911, reporting smoke coming from the home on Friday.

According to the release, firefighters arrived to find the fire burning in the kitchen area; the flames burned through the rafters and were traveling across the enclosed ceiling space linked to adjacent homes. Several homes in the area were evacuated as a precaution, according to the news release.

No injuries have been reported.

Tucson fire officials say the fire was caused by cooking left unattended in the kitchen.  Two people have been displaced. Red Cross was not needed.

The fire caused an estimated at $75,000 worth of damage to the home, according to authorities.