Susan G. Komen Southern Arizona on damage control
Reporter: Corinne Hautala
TUCSON (KGUN9-TV) – The Susan G. Komen Foundation will continue to fund grants to Planned Parenthood, reversing a decision it made earlier in the week.
The non-profit claimed it cut funding to Planned Parenthood, because it is the subject of a federal investigation by anti-abortion advocates.
After a nationwide backlash the foundation reversed its decision.
Susan G. Komen Board of Directors and CEO Nancy G. Brinker sent out a public statement. Part of the statement reads, "We want to apologize to the American public for recent decisions that cast doubt upon our commitment to our mission of saving women’s lives."
Gillian Drummond with the Susan G. Komen Southern Arizona said this week has been frustrating and distressing.
"We’ve had a backlash this week and that may continue," she said. "We know for sure there’s a lot of brand building to be done."
Drummond explained the non-profit is concerned it will lose supporters and ultimately donations.
"If people did turn their back on us, because of all of this, their own community would suffer," she pointed out, "because these clinics that we serve, these programs and services simply would not exist. The funding comes from us and the funds only happen through donations to us."
The foundation’s damage control comes less than two months before the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Tucson.
"This is bad timing for us," said Drummond.
The race is the non-profit’s largest fundraiser. Last year in Tucson it attracted 10,000 participants and raised $1.2 million.
Drummond said the race, which will take place March 25, takes 700 volunteers and they are still looking for people to donate their time.
"Komen Southern Arizona affiliate has never lost sight of its mission and never will," said Drummond.