Red Cross gives Labor Day weekend safety tips
It's Labor Day weekend, which means traveling, swimming and grilling for many Wichitans. The American Red Cross is giving safety tips to help everyone have "a safe and enjoyable time."
In a press release Friday, Regional Chapter Executive Bev Morlan stated the Red Cross has a free mobile app for both first aid and swimming.
Morlan said people should also follow these safety tips:
- Don't drink and drive.
- Take emergency supplies, including food and water, a flashlight and a first aid kit.
- Let someone know your destination, route and when you expect to arrive.
- Buckle up and obey traffic signs.
- Avoid texting and talking on the phone while driving.
- Check weather and beach conditions throughout the day.
- Always swim in an area supervised by a lifeguard and obey all warnings.
- Provide close and constant attention to children in or near water.
- Stay within arm's reach of young children and inexperienced swimmers while they are in the water.
- Young children, inexperienced swimmers and boaters should wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
- Always follow the manufacturer's instructions.
- Keep children and pets away from the grill.
- Never add charcoal starter fluid after coals have been ignited.
- Use long-handled utensils.
- Don't leave a grill unattended while in use.