UPDATE: Children playing with lighter spark mobile home fire
Two boys playing with a lighter may have sparked a mobile home fire Tuesday morning in South Wichita.
Firefighters were called to the scene just before 8 a.m. in the 4100 block of South Hydraulic. When crews arrived they found heavy smoke coming from inside of the home.
Four adults and four children had already escaped. Homeowner Judy Copeland tells KFDI News that her son may have been playing with a lighter and set his mattress on fire. She says she and her boyfriend tried putting out the fire themselves, but it started to spread to fast.
The man in his twenties went back inside to retrieve pop and cigarettes from inside. He suffered some minor burns and smoke inhalation.
He was transported to the hospital for treatment. Firefighters rescued several cats from the fire, including a kitten that had to be rescucitated.
Fire investigators tell KFDI News that a 7-year-old and 5-year-old boy were playing with a lighter and set a mattress on fire. Damage is estimated at $12,000.