Cook with caution this Thanksgiving
As people start preparing for Thanksgiving, the Wichita Fire Department wants to remind them to "Cook with Caution."
Fire Marshal Brad Crisp has these tips to help make the holiday season safe:
- Stay in the kitchen while frying, grilling or broiling food
- Turn off the stove if you leave the kitchen
- If simmering, baking, roasting or boiling food, check on the food regularly
- Use a timer to help remind you when to turn off burners and stoves
- Keep items that can catch fire - such as oven mitts, wooden utensils, food packaging, towels or clothing - away from the stove top
- Have a kid-free zone of at least three feet around the stove and in areas where hot food or containers are present.
Crisp said people need to be careful if they use a turkey fryer. He said not to fry it in a kitchen or garage - to take it outside instead - and follow the manufacturer's recommendations.
Crisp said people need to make sure the turkey is completely thawed before putting it in the fry.