EXCLUSIVE: More reports of exploding gas pumps
Photo: Video by fox4now.com
FORT MYERS, Fla. - A second person in Southwest Florida has told Fox 4 that she too was injured when a gas hose burst, spewing gas everywhere.
Morsa Spidle exclusively told Fox 4's Julian Glover that the incident happened last Monday, June 18 at the Citgo gas station at the corner of Davis Blvd. in Fort Myers. She reached out to Fox 4 after seeing our story the previous night about a Fort Myers man who was sent to the hospital after a similar incident involving a leaking gas-pump hose.
"Gas [was] just squirting me. In the face, the nose, the mouth -- you name it," said Spidle.
Spidle says she was pumping gas when unexpectedly the hose burst.
"The back of my shirt started to get wet and the back of my neck started to get wet," said Spidle, "That's when I proceeded to turn around to see why I was getting wet."
In shock, she spun around in a rush to figure out how to make the gas stop.
She later went to Gulf Coast Hospital where she was treated for inhaling toxic fumes, skin irritation, and severe damage to her eye. Doctors also told Spidle that she broke a major bone in her foot, causing her to now walk on crutches.
"It burned like crazy," said Spidle.
During the incident, she ran inside the gas station for help and says the workers didn't do anything.
"Didn't offer to help me at all. In fact when I first walked in he looked at me as if I was crazy," said Spidle.
Morsa also told Fox 4 when she returned to the gas station later that day to take photos of the aftermath of the incident, she saw that the busted pump was "repaired" with what appeared to be electrical tape.
"The gas was spewing through the electrical tape," said Spidle,"By this time it had burned through the tape and was spewing all over the ground."
According to Spidle, it wasn't until after the police got involved and forced the station to shutdown the pump that management at the station took any action.
I call the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and they were unaware of the issues, despite the fact that it happened more than a week ago. The station failed to report the incident to the state.
Despite the danger, when Fox 4's Julian Glover reached out to Citgo Corp. for an explanation, they told him, "No Comment."
Spidle had now hire an attorney, and he is also wondering just how big of an issue this danger at the pump may be.
"Two of these incidents, happening in such a close time frame seems to be a little more than coincidence," said Joseph Gaeta, personal injury attorney.