Cape Coral house fire costly
FOX 4 Staff
CAPE CORAL, Fla. - A Monday morning electrical fire at a southeast Cape Coral home caused about $150,000 damage.
The preliminary cause for the fire is a possible electrical overload.
The early morning fire at 925 SE 4th Place engulfed the garage in flames and sent smoke throughout the house. Firefighters had to deal with hurricane shutters that blocked access to many of the home's windows.
The family and their pets escaped the home safely.
The presence of the hurricane shutters prompted this reminder from Cape Coral fire chief Bill Van Helden, "We encourage our residents to remove hurricane shutters unless there is an imminent storm threat to our city."