3rd steroid contamination death recorded in Florida

John Rinkenbaugh

3rd steroid contamination death recorded in Florida

CREATED Oct. 17, 2012

FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Florida Department of Health revealed that a 72-year-old man is the third victim to die from fungal meningitis outbreak associated with contaminated steroids. 

State Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Dr. John Armstrong said the contaminated steroids from NECC were sold from May 21st 2012 on.  Those contaminated steroids were found in eight facilities across the state of Florida.  Only six of those facilities actually gave those steroids to patients.

Dr. Armstrong said 1038 patients received the contaminated steroids statewide.  So far 13 cases of fungal meningitis have been found.

The contaminated steroids have killed at least 15 people nationwide and caused more than 200 people to become ill.

Loading...