Loading...

Weather Alerts 1 View »

School district responds after 2 kids hit by cars

Play

Photo: Video by fox4now.com

School district responds after 2 kids hit by cars

By Matt Grant. CREATED Sep 14, 2012 - UPDATED: Sep 14, 2012

FORT MYERS - Children being hit by cars - it's become an all too familiar occurrence recently in southwest Florida.

The question is: What can be done to keep your child safe?

On Thursday, a 12-year-old boy was hit by a car while leaving his driveway near 68th Street West and Sunshine Boulevard in Lehigh Acres. he was treated for a head injury.

On Wednesday, an SUV struck a 14-year-old in San Carlos Park while he was trying to catch the bus near Constitution Circle and Adams Circle. He was taken to the hospital in serious condition.

Last month another teen had to be airlifted to Tampa after being hit while waiting at her bus stop in San Carlos Park. She is still going through rehab for her injuries.

All of these incidents are getting the attention of the Lee County School District, which called the accidents "extremely unfortunate."

In recent weeks dozens of parents have confronted the school board over bus stops they perceive to be unsafe. Most of the parents live in private communities where the bus stops have been moved outside the gates onto busy highways.

The district's chief operating officer says the accidents, though unfortunate, had nothing to do with the bus stop changes.
 
"Unfortunately, yesterday and today, two of our students, were hit by vehicles while en route to their assigned bus stops," said Lee County School District COO Albert Rodriguez. "The areas where the accidents occurred were on two lane roads in residential areas where the speed limits are 30 mph or less. It is extremely unfortunate that these incidents have occurred; however, this again will give principals, teachers, staff and parents the opportunity to discuss and review safety practices with their children as it relates to walking, riding and standing on public and private roadways."

The district is currently reviewing nine bus stops parents have called unsafe.

Matt Grant
mgrant@fox4now.com