CREATED Jul. 18, 2012 - UPDATED: Jul. 18, 2012
FORT MYERS, Fla. - The Ft. Myers Police Department and several other local law enforcement agencies are releasing some of their plans for President Obama's Friday morning visit.
A spokesperson for the police department recommends if you plan on going downtown, to arrive in plenty of time to park and go through security.
President Obama touches down at 10:00 a.m. Friday and will be done speaking by 1:00 p.m. so if you have a ticket, you need to give yourself several hours to get downtown, get parked and go through security.
"There is going to be a significant amount of traffic and people coming into downtown," Ft. Myers Police Dept. Lt. Jim Mulligan said.
If you're driving downtown, give yourself plenty of time to find legal parking and pay attention to signs showing restricted areas.
"Just don't drop your car anywhere," Mulligan said.
- Edwards, Monroe and Bay Streets around the Harborside Event Center will be closed.
- The U.S. Post Office across the street from Harborside will stay open.
- Parking is prohibited on Hendry street from MLK to Edwards Drive and on Bay Street from Hendry Street to Dean Street.
"We're trying to do the best we can to accomodate all the business owners and their customers coming into downtown," he said.
- If you have a ticket, you'll have to go through the Secret Service to get in.
"They're gonna be vary cautious of what's going in," he said. "So obviously don't be walking around with any dangerous items or weapons."
- To be clear, it's one person, per ticket for the event.
The person who got the ticket has their name printed on the ticket and they will be the only one admitted.
You'll need a ticket to get in. There could also possibly be more tickets given out than what the fire marshall will allow inside, come early and of course, be patient.
Colleen Hogan, reporter