Early Morning Fire Displaces MSU Students
FOX 47 News
A fire forces dozens of Michigan State University students out of their home overnight. Firefighters are still investigating the blaze. 29 students live in the house.
The house is called Phoenix House and it's one of a number of co-ops where Michigan State University students live together and share the chores that keep the house going. Some of those students began to notice signs of fire at around 3 AM.
When we got to the scene shortly after, there were a number of students standing on the street, many of them in pajamas and without shoes. We spoke with one of the students who lives there about what happened.
"A girl heard crackling above her roof and started yelling fire. And I have a view out to our roof, and I looked up above because there's an extension to the building and saw smoke coming off the the roof and immediately called 9-1-1," said a Phoenix House resident.
The East Lansing Fire Department arrived shortly after. They were able to put out the fire quickly, but there is damage to the house.
"We had a fire in the rear of the building, coming through the third floor... a lot of smoke... a lot of heat. We went in and ventilated and put the fire out on the interior. It looks like there's probably one or two bedrooms impacted," said Leo Allaire, Lieutenant E. Lansing Fire.
Most residents of phoenix house are staying at other co-ops that the house is affiliated with. The Red Cross is also assisting them, while fire crews still investigate.